Friday, January 29, 2010

Memories from an Ultrasound after a loss

After one of our losses (to be honest, I don't recall which one), my wife had to have an ultrasound at the Foothills Medical Centre (FMC) to make sure the loss was 'clean'.

It was one of those cold, cloudy gloomy days where nothing good could happen. The waiting room looked kind of makeshift - they had cubical divider walls seperating the waiting room from the rest of the area. While we were waiting, I recall a woman either screaming or crying in the closed room, presumably one of the ultrasound rooms. It clearly wasn't a pleasant experience for her. The patients were not allowed to bring anyone in with them - my wife had to go in by herself. Needless to say I was concerned.

While she was in there, I decided to wander around the hospital. I was told it could be an hour or so. Well, she was done earlier than we thought and I had my phone off the whole team. Needless to say, she was FURIOUS as to where I had been for the last half hour. However, I was told everything was clear and we could continue. She did not have to do a D&C (I have no idea what that is but it sounded unpleasant).

Fast forward a few months. We were at my in laws place and my brother in law. He had a friend over who happened to be an Ultrasound tech in Calgary - I will call her H.

We relayed our experiences and our disatisfactions... what H said next reminded me of the woman who was crying (or screaming) in the ultrasound at the FMC and will always stick with me forever (and is actually the point of this post):

"One of the hardest things is to have a woman in that is pregnant, you tell her she is pregnant and she is clearly upset and does not want the baby. Immediately after, you will have another woman in and when told she is not pregnant and she immediately starts crying. I just wish I could take the baby from one woman and put it in the other. It isn't fair."

No comments:

Post a Comment